What CCG's/Tabletop Games Do You Play?

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hi all,

Okay, so it seems we got to chatting a bit about CCG's in another thread and since I've been on my CCG buying spree (read: just got about 750 cards in the mail this afternoon), I figure why not start this up.

So, I imagine this thread can be pretty flexible. Just share your experiences with these sorts of games. I'm going to just give a little history of how I got into CCG's.

My first was the Decipher Star Wars CCG. I got a starter box and learned how to play with a friend. The same friend and I were later introduced to The Lord of the Rings which led us to Middle-earth--an excellent CCG that sadly was canned when I.C.E. lost the publishing rights to Tolkien's works (darn those movies coming out!). I have played a few other games here and there, but the last one is my absolute favorite and what got me into CCG's again only recently.

The latest CCG for me are the ARC system games--especially Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. I would say they are up there with Middle-earth in terms of fun. They are nowhere near as elegant as Middle-earth but they a game can go quickly and it's pretty easy to have fun building an ad hock deck. I've even got Mrs manaman in on the fun.

So, what about you all?

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

The only card game that I've played extensively is Magic the Gathering. I still play Magic sometimes. It's nothing to go to a friends out and bring a deck with me to have a quick game. It's the only card game where I've actually spent good money on particular cards to build near invincible decks.

I tried Yugioh when it first came out and quit once I realized that the only skill in the game is getting all the cards with high attack and low star (or free summons). The video games fixed this problem by having a point system forcing you to use sucky cards until you played enough. I'm not saying that the game is terrible it's just poorly thought out.

As far as tabletop I played Mech Warrior during the short life that it was out. Complicated rules made it really intimidating at first but after you learn everything the game is really fun to play. It's a game that requires you to pay attention to everything.
Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon »

In the past I've played Magic, Digimon, and Pokemon...and yes...I played Yu-Gi-Oh with my younger brother...I'm ashamed of myself for doing it, but I've been clean for six years now and going strong :p

As for tabletop games, I've played a lot since coming to college. I have a group of friends who play something at least once a week. Our favorite to play is Arkham Horror.

I've also played:

Lord of the Rings
Settlers of Catan
Blue Moon
Age of Empires
Carcassonne
Ice Towers
Race for the Galaxy
Ra
Battlestar Galactica
Heroscape
Axis and Allies
Alhambra

oh I forgot that I've witnessed quite a few games of Warhammer.
Last edited by Tallon on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I played a lot of Magic back in highschool and a bit into college with Tallon and a few other friends of mine. Got a few decks I need to put back together, but I've been out of type two for years now. I don't have money to sink back into that, haha.

Other than that I've never had the money to get into anything else. :P
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

I still play YuGiOh a fair bit. DeadWolf has a fair point - it's all about the cards you have more than how you use them. The deck I have can still blast a handful of high-level cards to pieces in the right combination; but there's less skill involved in doing that than there is in getting the right cards for it. As it stands I'm flaunting a Spellcaster/Block deck with a Silent Magician as my star player. Most of my effect cards are angled around reversing attacks or blocking them completely; with a multitude of fun effects in addition to giving my Silent Magician time to grow to his final, 3500 ATK and invulnerable to spell cards form. This card was a fluke to get - it's only available if you buy the YuGiOh DS game Nightmare Troubadour - which was a massive flop and is now out of production.

Oh yeah, I've been known to play Magic too.

EDIT:: Spelling mistake. In your FACE, highschool graduation!
Last edited by Tyrfillich on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tyrfillich wrote:I still play YuGiOh a fair bit. DeadWolf has a fair point - it's all about the cards you have more than how you use them. The deck I have can still blast a handful of high-level cards to pieces in the right combination; but there's less skill involved in doing that than there is in getting the right cards for it. As it stands I'm flaunting a Spellcaster/Block deck with a Silent Magician as my star player. Most of my effect cards are angled around reversing attacks or blocking them completely; with a multitude of fun effects in addition to giving my Silent Magician time to grow to his final, 3500 ATK and invulnerable to spell cards form. This card was a fluke to get - it's only available if you buy the YuGiOh DS game Nightmare Troubadour - which was a massive flop and is now out of production.

Oh yeah, I've been known to play Magic too.

EDIT:: Spelling mistake. In your FACE, highschool graduation!
I don't have many cards so I don't play with real people (not only that but most people my age don't play). I have 3 GBA games that are quite enjoyable to play and they help the time pass. I have Duel Monsters 5 (Eternal Duelist Soul here in the US)(jp), World Wide Edition(jp), and The Sacred Cards(us). I got the imports because they were cheaper. World Wide Edition plays in English so there's no problem there. Duel Monsters 5, though I don't know Japanese, I do know what most of the cards do so it's fun. I really enjoy the story to The Sacred Cards even though the game play is a bit broken and Marik is a cheating whore. I believe there is a sequel to it, Reshef of Destruction, but I never got my hands on it so I never played it. I wouldn't mind giving it a one time run to get the story.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Anyone play the Pokemon TCG at all?

I know a lot of people collected the cards and stuff but few I know actually made decks.

My friends and I used to do that a little, and a few months ago my friend and I broke out our old cards and played a few games. Holy heck did the Pokemon TCG love its coin flips. We must have flipped that coin 200 times in one game.

Anyways the reason I bring this up is because the Pokemon TCG on Gameboy is actually pretty fun. Story is stupid and you can beat the game really fast, but it's pretty solid on the gameplay.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Sheexy wrote:Anyways the reason I bring this up is because the Pokemon TCG on Gameboy is actually pretty fun. Story is stupid and you can beat the game really fast, but it's pretty solid on the gameplay.
Yes I did. I use to have that game but I sold it. I still have the rare Meowth, still in its plastic, that came with it. I use to have a lot of really rare cards that I ended up just giving away when I had lost interest in it.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Yeah, I've got my own theory about the Yu-Gi-Oh universe - oh sorry, dimension - and is that the more ridiculous your hair or outfit, the bigger jerk you are. Both at once acts as an exponential multiplier. So by that rule the three biggest jerks are Yami, Kaiba and Marik. Coincidence? I think not.

I've got Duelist of the Roses at home, but it sucks big sweaty bollocks. Nightmare Troubadour is okay but the massive amount of Engrish throughout the game is a bit of a distraction. I'd love to see a multiplayer one done like Eye of Judgement but it would probably be susceptible to fake cards. I guess this means we'll have to wait until some dude events a working Duel Disc...
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tyrfillich wrote:Yeah, I've got my own theory about the Yu-Gi-Oh universe - oh sorry, dimension - and is that the more ridiculous your hair or outfit, the bigger jerk you are. Both at once acts as an exponential multiplier. So by that rule the three biggest jerks are Yami, Kaiba and Marik. Coincidence? I think not.
When you say Yami are you talking about Yugi or Bakura? Yami Bakura gives me more hell than Yami Yugi. Kaiba it really depends on the games. Marik always manages to get his God card out in like 4 turns. I had to just grind off of the weaker duelist to gain enough exp to put in some quick and heavy attackers to beat him before he's able to get and higher summons.
Tyrfillich wrote:I've got Duelist of the Roses at home, but it sucks big sweaty bollocks. Nightmare Troubadour is okay but the massive amount of Engrish throughout the game is a bit of a distraction. I'd love to see a multiplayer one done like Eye of Judgement but it would probably be susceptible to fake cards. I guess this means we'll have to wait until some dude events a working Duel Disc...
I wouldn't mind getting an online DS game. I haven't played any of the newer ones but that would be fun to play against REAL people for once.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

DeadWolf wrote:I still have the rare Meowth, still in its plastic, that came with it.
Haha, I've still got that too.
I always told myself that it'd be worth money one day if I kept it in the package, but judging by eBay it's not worth jack. XD
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Sheexy wrote:
DeadWolf wrote:I still have the rare Meowth, still in its plastic, that came with it.
Haha, I've still got that too.
I always told myself that it'd be worth money one day if I kept it in the package, but judging by eBay it's not worth jack. XD
My parents told me they had no value and my parents were right. That card represents my childhood though so it has some sentimental value
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Try playing Troubadour - Yami Bakura is a good challenge but Yami Yugi - frickin' Atem - is an utter whackoff. It's gotten to the point where he pretty much tosses the cards over his shoulder and punches you in the face.

I think there is a DS game that allows online play. I must find it.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tyrfillich wrote:Try playing Troubadour - Yami Bakura is a good challenge but Yami Yugi - frickin' Atem - is an utter whackoff. It's gotten to the point where he pretty much tosses the cards over his shoulder and punches you in the face.

I think there is a DS game that allows online play. I must find it.
If you find it tell me. I might actually pick it up. I'm interesting in playing now that I've been talking about it.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

DeadWolf wrote:My parents told me they had no value and my parents were right. That card represents my childhood though so it has some sentimental value
True that.

Plus Meowth was always my favorite Pokemon. :P

Actually kind of related to the topic I guess, but while I was playing the Pokemon TCG I thought up an idea for a Seiken Densetsu TCG that utilizes a pretty similar system but has a few differences.
For example, instead of one active monster you had three, and there were a few other changes and such.

I was gonna make a thread about it but I have other things on the site I should be working on instead.

Anyone else ever wanted to make a CCG? I just love the strategy and collectibility they afford.