I have a hat!

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

That's right, I have a hat.
I made the hat.
It's over there.
<--- HAT!

Love the hat. How about you?
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

the hat just reminded me of Ragnarok Online :P
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Well it was based on the Munak Hat. I love that hat.
This one is better, though. No weird spell tag hanging off it.
I wanted to do something more creative but this was something I'd already made about half a year ago for something else, so I just updated it a little to better suit my tastes.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

I want a hat.
Please put a hat on my leaf.

Maybe some cookies too.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Will do.
Any preferences, while I get started?
I like the idea of a top hat.

Here's how it'd look, with cookies.

Personally I find this delicious. :&#12358;&#12399;wwwwww:
I bet your leaf does, too. :D
Last edited by The J Person on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

What does the full picture look like?

Hahaha, awesome job on Faal's avie!
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I think I'm going to alter this one later, so the cookie in front of the leaf's... I dunno, mouth, looks half-eaten! :D

And... the full picture... of my avie?? It's just the head... I never finished it. *cries*
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Excellent!
I love my hat 'n' cookie leaf.
Oh, and it does... look... tasty. *crunch*
<_< >_>
andyhello
BuzzBee

Post by andyhello »

aws you should have finished it full-size! I like the highlighitng on the face and the hat - and the hat has a nice colour scheme-thing to it :)
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I may still finish that. But not immediately. I've been working on THIS:

It's not Mana-related though, and it's something I only did the coloring work on. The original source of the lineart is this guy here: http://moonshaft.deviantart.com/

And this is the full-size image here:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/l ... up_col.jpg

Moonshaft, as I know him, is a professional animator/illustrator who's a good 10 years older than me, he seems to have some good stuff going for him. His normal art style is not at all what I would do myself, but his coloring work is nice, and I'm jealous of his ability to detail. I was mainly impressed with his landscape-drawing abilities, which is what you see in this picture on top of all the red and green and blue.

I figure I linked the guy and gave him credit here, so it's cool to have it up. I'll make sure of that once I actually finish my half of the work. But yeah, most of my inspiration to color this came from the Mana games, so w00t! for partial relevance! :D
Last edited by The J Person on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

That is a great job of coloring, the lighting looks next to perfect!
You did a really great job on making the light look kinda hazy from filtering through the trees and stuff, sweeto. The only thing I could say is maybe make it a little darker?
Seems a bit bright for in the woods, but the hazy effect is dead on.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I was about to start working on it again last night when I realized something: those kind of grainy, ill-defined areas in the background are actually supposed to be... shadows! On the treetops, from the trees in front of them.

So I'm going to be reworking the lighting later, so that it's coming directly from the top and front and center, rather than, oh, say, behind. As it is I'm diversifying all the stuff that's bush and branch... see that area under the waterfall? It's going to get spruced. In the direction of up.

What makes this kind of tricky is that I want there to be sort of a morning light to it, but I want the light from the lanterns to be visible as well. I expect to do something in the way of imaginary overhead canopy, but I'm not sure how to best accomplish this since I was left with no guide to do that. That doesn't make it impossible, mind you, because I enjoy having to be creative, but my thinking parts need a rest today...
------
What you didn't see, before I noticed my little "shadow-glitch": I added some thick, angled shadows coming off that large house on the right side of the first tree (that'd be the one with the house in the knothole), did some additional detail work on the haziness because it just wasn't quite doing the job, and entirely obliterated the coloring on that house just above the waterfalls. So far the part that's given me the most trouble is actually the houses themselves, and that tiny little person that's a little farther up the stairs from the one who's at the bottom.