Mark's Idea

Help out with the site! Suggestions and ideas go here.
Mark
BuzzBee

Post by Mark »

My idea for the forum is a post Counter and a level system

so it might say X posts till level up with a bar I was thinking it might give it more of an RPG feel.

Tell me what you think.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

We've got the SoM enemy ranking thing there.
Every 10 posts your ranking will change.

We don't wanna work in any post count related goodies because those things tend to bring on lots of spam, and no one wants that.

Maybe we could work in a little picture rank system, but I dunno, that's up to Dekky.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

The problem with level systems like that is the horrendous tendency some users have of adding posts to a thread for the sake of raising their post count and don't make a worthwhile contribution to the subject in question (aka SPAM). This board has been exceedingly successful in avoiding such abuse, and I think partly that's down to Deques/Sheexy's decision to not include the post count.

While I don't feel that any of the current members of the board would resort to doing this, and I'm quite certain that we could quite safely introduce the system you propose, I don't see enough benefit for the cost of risking any future members making more work for moderators through abusing the system. The current title system is entertaining enough, and the fact that you never know when someone's title will change adds an extra sense of amusement when the time does come.

Just my two GP. ;)

Edit: Sheexy beat me to it while I was typing, hehe.
Last edited by Kassidy on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

Yeah the forum I mod has been getting alot of spam recently due to people wanting to get a nice high post count. I'm sick of it personally and most of the decent posters would prefer removing post counts altogether. So I say it's a smart move to remove post counts.

Still an interesting idea though Mark.
Mark
BuzzBee

Post by Mark »

well it seems like a no go, that's ok I wanted to see if it was worth it and check to see if anyone liked the Idea of a level counter :P

hmmm just a thought, maybe there is another way to do the level thing, but not relate it to posts so we can avoid the spam.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Unless it was related to how long you've been registered, so instead of a date it displays an EXP value, but I dunno, still kinda pointless.
koopa
Werewolf

Post by koopa »

Hmm.. strange. The forum displayed my first post twice, even after reload. So i deleted the double post and both got deleted :/
Sheexy wrote:We've got the SoM enemy ranking thing there.
Every 10 posts your ranking will change.

We don't wanna work in any post count related goodies because those things tend to bring on lots of spam, and no one wants that.

Maybe we could work in a little picture rank system, but I dunno, that's up to Dekky.
Great idea :D ( and not hard to implement )
Kassidy wrote:Unless it was related to how long you've been registered, so instead of a date it displays an EXP value, but I dunno, still kinda pointless.
While reading your post, i got an idea :D
Why not display a small picture of the hero / heroine next to the username and the longer the user is registered, the grayer the hair becomes :D
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Now there's a thought. *ponder ponder* Yeah, that's not a bad idea actually.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

koopa wrote:Why not display a small picture of the hero / heroine next to the username and the longer the user is registered, the grayer the hair becomes :D
A Rabite that slowly faded from Yellow to Pink to White to Green to Black would be awesome.

Or just one that goes from Yellow and gets darker until it is eventually a Black Rabite would be a really cool time ranking thing.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

why not do several, we have enough monster ranks to do 5-6 different ones at least.

start with an egg, which hatchs at 100 posts, levels up at 100 until it's maxed. But set the numbers to random like 142 and 732 and hide post counts. Anyone who spams goes to a broken egg and stays there until good behaviour.

That way everyones happy and I can get a chobin hood!

Infact..

lets say we're doing this as a rabite you could have it go

Egg - SD1 sprite - SD2 - SD2 recolour (I think there's like 3) - SD3 recolours - Sword - Children

Maybe even find a way to clean up DoM pictures.

Rabites would obviously be the longest but would end up with a black rabite. Everything else would have like 5 stages.
Last edited by BuCUE on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
koopa
Werewolf

Post by koopa »

Sheexy wrote:A Rabite that slowly faded from Yellow to Pink to White to Green to Black would be awesome.

Or just one that goes from Yellow and gets darker until it is eventually a Black Rabite would be a really cool time ranking thing.
Yeah, that's awesome :D
BuCUE wrote:start with an egg, which hatches at 100 posts, levels up at 100 until it's maxed. But set the numbers to random like 142 and 732 and hide post counts. Anyone who spams goes to a broken egg and stays there until good behaviour.

That way everyones happy and I can get a chobin hood!

Infact..

lets say we're doing this as a rabite you could have it go

Egg - SD1 sprite - SD2 - SD2 recolour (I think there's like 3) - SD3 recolours - Sword - Children

Maybe even find a way to clean up DoM pictures.

Rabites would obviously be the longest but would end up with a black rabite. Everything else would have like 5 stages.
Man, this idea rules :D especially the broken egg :D this is a brilliant idea to combine register-date and post-count in one picture :) Maybe it shouldn't hatch exactly after the 99th post, but maybe when the user is 1 month registered and had at least one week which an average-post-count-per-day of 3. If the user is becoming inactive, the egg won't hatch / the rabite would start sleeping ;)

I think a rabite for everyone is best ;)

It accepted, I could program this and implement a color chooser, so your yellow rabite doesn't fade from yellow to black, but from yellow to the chosen color ;)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Need to veer more toward the date and leave the post count irrelevant, I feel.
Mark
BuzzBee

Post by Mark »

Kassidy wrote:Need to veer more toward the date and leave the post count irrelevant, I feel.
I agree, time registered is best, that will avoid the spam completely and you can watch your own little rabite grow and change :P

Also, maybe do the same with a few different monsters and give a choice of what one you want displayed, What do you guys think?
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

I want a chobin hood damn it! No Rabite! Don't make me make an anti Rabite banner!

We could also do with some non-self-uploaded avatars here as well. If Sheexy wants he can use my icons from the past post. 250 icons of everything in DoM should pretty much cover the avatar requirements and if it doesn't we can resize sprites and art easy enough.

Maybe we could jack a G Generation style system. We start with a monster and it leads to other monsters. Like a Rabite can "evolve" to a Silktail or to say a mushboom and we make up chains so say I wanted a knight I might go - Rabite - mushboom - zombie - knight. Each month of registration with at least 5 posts (other wise idle guys get to level things up) you "ace" a monster and can level it up (change colour) or make it a new monster as listed above.

A lot more complex but fun. If you really really wanted to push it we could set up a little siken area where we can "fight" our icons. Sort of digimon portables but without the direct monster raising. Would be hillariously fun to see the crap we can get up to with such a lame concept :P

Rabite wins!
Rabite find a mana sword!
Rabites have no hands!
Rabite decides to Eat the mana sword instead!
koopa
Werewolf

Post by koopa »

Damn :D that's a bunch of complicated ideas :P