WIP - Seikens v4

Help out with the site! Suggestions and ideas go here.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

(Sorry the post became so long, but please bear with me ._. )

Hi.
I'm Ailise and has recently joined the webmaster team of the Seikens.

I guess most of you already know who I am, and also know I'm not that good at the Mana-series. I joined because I'm a programmer and going to work more on the base of the website rather then the content.

So how sucky am I and how much am I going to break this site?
Well, I studied in programming and graphics in a Swedish University. One of my classmate was Wai and we are both Engineers in Computer Science. After this I continued with a Masters degree in Computer Science. This master was all about internet stuff, like programming, designing, database, servers and so on.
So hopefully I won't make THAT much damage, but still expecting some ^^

Now that my long presentation is done I'll talk about a project that has not began yet: Seikens version 4.

The basic idea we have is to create a new kind of website in which we will create and merge most of the stuff. New design and complete new base coding. Without revealing to much in such early stage of the project. This is were I turn to the members of the Seikens.

You people have been here and experienced a lot more then me and every website is not perfect. There is things that are good, half-good and terrible.
For me it is important to know what you think is good and bad so we can try and make it better, or even take away if no one likes something.
As I'll be making most of the base coding I need time to plan and know things and figure out a lot as well.

So it would help me A LOT if you could say what:
- You like about the Seikens website.
- You hate about the Seikens website.
- You think we should improve.
- Anything you would like to add.
- Anything unnecessary you woud like to remove.
Reasons and such would also help a lot. I will read every suggestion.

Thank You
Ailise
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Note:
We wont add other game series. So no Phantasy Star or Final Fantasy
Danny

Post by Danny »

Deques wrote:So no Phantasy Star
Darn, there goes my idea... T_T

Well, we could always get new sections up and running! How about making secrets and errors/gliches sections covered for every game? I've got SoM and SD3 covered on that, I sent it to Sheexy a long time ago. Heh, I wonder when they will be up. I'll also make some FFA and SwoM.

Oh and a fan section would also be great idea! Kaze and me are making SD3 mangas but we both seem to be preocuppied with school lately... Aw well, there's two weeks of Chirstmas vaction coming up! I'm not sure how much I'll do by then as I also need to finish another manga I started. New fourm skins would also be a nice addition, more options equals more members! 8)
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Well, sorry Danny. We want the main focus on the mana-series at first.
Maybe later we could expand, but that is not in our plans at all for now.

We've been thinking of including a fan section. Any ideas of what could be in there? Mangas is just one thing ^^

The forum will be changed completely and implemented to the main system core. So there is no need for new skin ^^

Thanks for the suggestions Danny ^^
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Yup, we will wipe everything that exist in the forums :-)

Between us webmaster we already have had discussion wheter we should add other game series or not. The only outcome I can remember if we really are gonna add other series, it would be a seperate site. Not a part of Seikens, but an affiliation link between the sites would be added.
But it wouldnt be seikens anymore, would it?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

What I would say about the forum though is it would be good if we can keep the same functionality that we have currently here. Simple, quick post, no polls or superfluous and unnecessary weight, job done.

As for structure and such, I'll move that over to internal discussion.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

This is probably going to seem like a completely unnecessary comment, but to be honest I've spent less than probably five minutes on the actual website, so as far as Version 4 is concerned I'm not really... concerned.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be more prudent to work on the site when Seiken Densetsu picks back up. Now that they just did a couple of releases it might be awhile before something else arises.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Deques wrote:Yup, we will wipe everything that exist in the forums :-)
Wait, but a lot of topics are very useful and it seems like such a waste to delete them forever. I still look over some of them when I need help. We won't see topics like that again especially since the fourm seems kind of dead. I think the site is great how it is now, I'm in favor of leaving it how it is and just expanding it with new sections and features. Many active sites never changed their layouts or anything and just kept adding new stuff. Changing the whole site will not attract a lot of new members, adding new stuff will though. Trust me, I've seen a lot over the years...
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Like Tsurayu, I hardly ever visit the actual Seikens.com site. I have a tab in my browser open to the forum, and the RSS feed in my RSS reader.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Tsurayu wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be more prudent to work on the site when Seiken Densetsu picks back up. Now that they just did a couple of releases it might be awhile before something else arises.
See I disagree here, I would think it a better time to work on improving the site layout now rather than at the same time new releases need coverage because at that point we'll want more resources dedicated to being able to get the info into the layout as quickly as possible, rather than be working on keeping both in sync at the same time. Mould the container before filling it to the top, rather than patching it as we find the leaks.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Yeah I suppose that is true.

At least have general preperations and what not, that way the site could easily update and change for any new information. Yeah that does make a lot more sense. Haha, maybe that's why I was never a good webmaster. I don't think things through. XD
judas0
Rabite

Post by judas0 »

I´ve only been here a little while, but I think the objective should be that, whenever someone looks for information on the mana series, he comes here and not to any other site, isn´t it?

Maybe a faq section for every game, another with secrets and glitches, etc
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yep, that be in progress. ;) We may have to move the FAQs that we have in the Forum to main page also. Will make a note of that for next content update. Cheers.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

What's the point of a new forum? Punbb is very powerful, easy to mod/integrate, easy to use, and by far the best open source forum management system. Unless you're planning to write a forum management system yourself there's really no need to change.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

I like PhpBB better than PunBB.