Monster Level

Mana not on your side? Ask here and we'll help out!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Monster Level

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

I've played through Legend of Mana a number of times and on one of my files I began farming for Dior Wood to make myself a sword. I have all other ingredients needed for the recipe, all that's left is the wood. I set my difficulty to Nightmare and I started killing the Wooding at the end of the Gatto Grotto dungeon with my PolterBox. With my current map set up Gatto Grotto is one land away from Home. Grotto - Highway - Home. I'm wonder if at this distance on Nightmare mode is the Wooding a high enough level (32) to drop some Dior Wood.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Re: Monster Level

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I have trouble getting Dior Wood even with the Woodings at level 99, but I found this on Game Faqs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/256525-legen ... faqs/30684 Go to section 2.

Apparently level 32 is ok if you have your Polter Box with you, just make sure you get the kill while sync'd with your Polter Box. Also you can apparently get it at any level it's just an extremely minuscule chance.

It also depends on your Luck stat, even with luck at 85 + 20 with enchants you still have only a 1/3 chance to get the rarer items dropped by a monster according to the thing.

Just looks like it's gonna be a long time trying to get it to drop. I remember trying to harvest dragon scales, I think I got like one within 2 hours. XD
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

It's like Adamantite all over again. Thanks for the info, but I was actually wondering if the Wooding I am fighting would be level 32 based on where it is from my house. I've gotten a few pieces of Ash Wood, which means, according to the guide, the Wooding in question is at least a level between 16 and 31. For Dior Wood it would have to be at least a level between 32 and 47. I guess to simplify, what level do monsters start at on Nightmare mode and how many levels do they gain each land away from home?

Edit: I ended up getting the Dior Wood on a different file and just sold the untempered sword to Prof. Bomb then bought it on the file I would be forging it on. I finished tempering and I couldn't get it out quite right. Everything else was fine +5 to all stats, 245 attack; but I couldn't get the essences to balance at 5 properly. To keep Aura from decreasing Dryad I raised Shade and Wisp last. I settled for 4 each on those, but something interesting happened when I added the Yggdrasil card to the sword. Yggdrasil requires a level 5 Dryad essence, I had that balanced with a level 5 Aura. Little did I know, the Yggdrasil card raises Dryad level, not certain but it's the only explanation, as afterwards I had 6 Dryad and 5 Aura. I could start over, but I'd rather not. Will these unbalanced elements effect the weapon down the line? (I'm aware I am derailing my own thread, but I figured it's better than cluttering up the forum with a new one.)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I don't think you'll have a problem with your weapon like that. It's more of a perfectionist thing to power them up that much. I've actually never gone through the process of making a weapon balance all the crazy elemental stuff and stat bonus things and I've never had a problem on No Future Mode, so I think even with one elemental off you'll be good. :P
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

Yeah, I wouldn't think it'd hurt in terms of power. Besides a wooden sword should have a naturally higher dryad level anyway. But for some reason I remember reading that if opposing elements are unbalanced eventually the lower of the two will begin to decrease. If that's the case the sword would eventually lose it's Aura Marker and that's not a very good thing. Of course I don't remember where I saw this, and I can't seem to find anything that says so, but I just want to make sure.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I think that only applies to tempering, I've never seen a weapon change stats over time.
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

Perhaps it's my OCD subconsciously trying to convince me to fix the problem, it's the only requirement I fill to be a good smithy. I can't comprehend the more complex system rules, and I don't have the patience for some of the required work. Still, it's odd. Normally recipes on LoM Kitchen are spot on, especially if they're featured in the recipe book. I've followed the instructions to the T. I've heard tempering can sometimes misfire... but I don't know how to detect that when it happens until it's too late. I'll keep a separate file that has the untempered sword and try again some other time. For now, I'll settle for what I have, as it's still a fine sword.

Thanks for the feed back, at least I don't have to worry about the sword being faulty.

tl;dr I suck at tempering, and thank you.

EDIT: I got it to work. I really didn't change anything from the last attempt. Tempering is a... strange process.
Last edited by ReasonsUnknown on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.