Spotify

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kefka
Whimper

Spotify

Post by Kefka »

Anyone heard of this program?
I have, and use Spotify when i'm at work.

It's a free music player, which allows you to search songs/bands online and listen to songs or complete albums.
The downside is that with the free version, you could hear a commercial about spotify at the end of some songs. And you can find a lot of populair music, but not very specific older stuff .

But i think the idea is cool!
source: http://www.spotify.com

btw, this is not an advertisement ^_^
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: Spotify

Post by DeadWolf »

Not available in the US. Not only that it looks crApple only. I'll stick with Pianobar.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

It's a paid service here in the UK, only reason I haven't checked it out. It does work on other platforms, but still waiting for their Linux port to happen (last time I checked it was a no because they couldn't get ads to work... gee).

@Deadwolf: Thank you, I now have the magic word of pianobar. Time to play. :)
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Kassidy wrote:@Deadwolf: Thank you, I now have the magic word of pianobar. Time to play. :)
I have a script that launches it in Alltray and hot key it to scroll lock. There is also a configuration file that you have to create in home to have it start up logged in and on a specific station. I have a lot of programs running at work and Alltray keeps it in the tray for me to avoid clutter.
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

I luuuurve Spotify. :]
It's a paid service here in the UK, only reason I haven't checked it out.
Really? I'm in the UK and I don't pay a penny for Spotify! There are ads occasionally but they don't bother me much - it's worth it for the free streaming.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Spotify is both free and premium service. I use the free one at work
Too bad they filter the music that aren't else available in Sweden.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

This is available in the US by invitation only (like a google product) It's actually a neat service despite it having ads. I like the application a lot. A really nice iTunes replacement. I just wish there was a supported linux version. There is a preview but you have to have a paid account. The free windows version runs great in wine as long as you use OSS (pulse works also though they don't say that).
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Spotify was awesome... I used to have premium for months.
Premium allows you to use it everywhere in the world and better quality on music, also works on mobile devices (premium only) and you can save stuff like offline playlists. Also no ads what so ever.

My biggest problem was that it was to expensive, also a lot of important music is not in spotify, like Pink Floyd or Metallica... and lately even more where disappearing. I just got bored and found something better.

Grooveshark.com, it's like youtube but for music. The quality is good and it's free (combined with adblock, you don't see any ads) and browser based, no need for extra software. There are also download clients like groovejaar, if you ever want the music so you can listen to it on your portable player.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Ailise wrote:Spotify was awesome... I used to have premium for months.
Premium allows you to use it everywhere in the world and better quality on music, also works on mobile devices (premium only) and you can save stuff like offline playlists. Also no ads what so ever.

My biggest problem was that it was to expensive, also a lot of important music is not in spotify, like Pink Floyd or Metallica... and lately even more where disappearing. I just got bored and found something better.

Grooveshark.com, it's like youtube but for music. The quality is good and it's free (combined with adblock, you don't see any ads) and browser based, no need for extra software. There are also download clients like groovejaar, if you ever want the music so you can listen to it on your portable player.
I've been using the premium service to stream music on my phone for in the car use.

Grooveshark is great but I have problems finding a lot of music on it. I have better luck with Spotify. You also have to pay for Grooveshark to use it in Boxee. With my Boxee being a Mac Mini that doesn't bug me as much but it is still extortion in my book.