3DS XL

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Khyron
Iffish

3DS XL

Post by Khyron »

Three words: Worth Every Penny!
Kefka
Whimper

Re: 3DS XL

Post by Kefka »

good to hear :-) I'm still on a normal DS XL and was wondering if it was worth it.
Perhaps i will ask one from Santa this year :-)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Kinda sad about them coming out with a bigger one so fast, only had my 3DS for a short while now.

Oh well, I can still fit mine in my pocket I guess, and it's the neato Zelda edition. Though this whole topic is reminding me that I left it in my office at school again. XD

What games do you have Khyron?

I've got Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario 3D land, Mario Kart 7, Starfox 64 3D, Pokemon Rumble Blast and Kid Icarus. Store near here had a great buy two get one free thing going on, so I stocked up. XD
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Kyatto wrote:good to hear :-) I'm still on a normal DS XL and was wondering if it was worth it.
Perhaps i will ask one from Santa this year :-)
Our family is upgrading from the regular DS lite so, in addition to the 3D and new library of games, the screen dwarfs what we had before. The price seemed right and, fro, what I've read, the battery life in the new XL is much better than the original.
Sheexy wrote:Kinda sad about them coming out with a bigger one so fast, only had my 3DS for a short while now.

Oh well, I can still fit mine in my pocket I guess, and it's the neato Zelda edition. Though this whole topic is reminding me that I left it in my office at school again. XD

What games do you have Khyron?

I've got Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario 3D land, Mario Kart 7, Starfox 64 3D, Pokemon Rumble Blast and Kid Icarus. Store near here had a great buy two get one free thing going on, so I stocked up. XD
Sheexy, Bonus points for having the Zelda edition (and for working "Neato" into a sentence)! We have Ocarina, Kid Icarus and New SMB2. I played Starfox 64 at Target and, for the 90 seconds I was able to fight my kids off for it, I thought it was great. I heard that people who bought a 3DS when they were first released felt ripped as the library of games was sub-par. I'm wondering if this will be the system that will finally see a re-release of FFVII or perhaps a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger. My money is on Circle of Mana ending up as a 3DS title over the WiiU or whatever they're calling it. Well, at least I hope that's the case!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Starfox 64 is ok, I would have rather had another game I guess. I forgot how short the game actually is. Got some fun levels though, but personally I prefer the original Starfox, seems more responsive (although even shorter still, haha). Technically it was "free" due to the buy 2 get 1 free thing I did, so I am not complaining too much. Easy game to pick up and play for like, 3 minutes at a time if you've got nothing else to do.

How's the new mario bros. 2?
New mario 1 on DS was pretty terrible in my opinion. I mean it's a good game, but it's not a good mario game to me. Levels were short, super tiny (seriously mario takes up like 1/4 the screen height!) and I dunno. Just not very good.
That said I put a ton of hours into it, so I guess it did something right.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy wrote:Starfox 64 is ok, I would have rather had another game I guess. I forgot how short the game actually is. Got some fun levels though, but personally I prefer the original Starfox, seems more responsive (although even shorter still, haha). Technically it was "free" due to the buy 2 get 1 free thing I did, so I am not complaining too much. Easy game to pick up and play for like, 3 minutes at a time if you've got nothing else to do.

How's the new mario bros. 2?
New mario 1 on DS was pretty terrible in my opinion. I mean it's a good game, but it's not a good mario game to me. Levels were short, super tiny (seriously mario takes up like 1/4 the screen height!) and I dunno. Just not very good.
That said I put a ton of hours into it, so I guess it did something right.
Sheexy,

There are definitely pros and cons to a short, non-engaging game. Back in the day I would play Afterburner on my SMS and then Afterburner 2 on the Genesis as a break from marathon Phantasy Star sessions. You're right that if you've only got a couple of minutes to play it's a good time killer/stress reliever.
As for New SMB2, I like it. I didn't play the DS version so I have no basis for comparisson. I'll say that Mario is small before he shrooms but it's not a hang up for me. The emphasis on coin collecting is something my 5 year old really likes and not something I care much about one way or the other. All in all a solid platformer, perfect physics (as always) even if it's not terribly difficult.
Speaking of not terribly difficult I'm almost through Final Fantasy III which, while time consuming, is not the brutal FFIV that was released along with Chrono Trigger on the PS1. Aside from not being able to purchase Phoenix Downs anywhere in the game, there's little to stop you from beating it without your whole party dying. Defnitely worth the $10 I paid for it, unlike the 4 Heroes of Light which was such a miserable experience I finally remanded it to the game bin in my basement. Maybe 20 years from now I'll be able to get my money out of it.
hawklise33
Ma Goblin

Post by hawklise33 »

it was worth getting the 3ds but since the new one came out....idk XD
the 3ds games i have are
Kid Icarus, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

hawklise33 wrote:it was worth getting the 3ds but since the new one came out....idk XD
the 3ds games i have are
Kid Icarus, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
What do you think of the Theatrhythm? My 12 year old son is interested but I don't really know what to make of it other than Square has found yet another way to milk the FF franchise.
hawklise33
Ma Goblin

Post by hawklise33 »

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is amazing. It allows u to listen to every final fantasy music from 1-13.
U can also watch their videos, which is the event theme in the game. There is also the DLC, where u buy the songs from the eshop.
It got me hooked that i actually downloaded some music and listening them to my mp3 and got me interested in the final fantasy games.
I got me 1,2,3,3ds,4 advance, 4ds, 5 snes, 5 advance, 6 advance, 6 snes, 7 (if i can get the psx emulator to work but i completed it) (still trying to get 8,9,10 and 11), 10-2, 12,13 and 13-2
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

hawklise33 wrote:Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is amazing. It allows u to listen to every final fantasy music from 1-13.
U can also watch their videos, which is the event theme in the game. There is also the DLC, where u buy the songs from the eshop.
It got me hooked that i actually downloaded some music and listening them to my mp3 and got me interested in the final fantasy games.
I got me 1,2,3,3ds,4 advance, 4ds, 5 snes, 5 advance, 6 advance, 6 snes, 7 (if i can get the psx emulator to work but i completed it) (still trying to get 8,9,10 and 11), 10-2, 12,13 and 13-2
hawklise33, Thanks for the info. The importance of Uematsu to the FF franchise can not be understated. I like the idea of being able to download original compositions as opposed to some of the versions available through Amazon and other retailers.

Your FF collection is impressive! I just picked up a minty copy of the original on Amazon for peanuts and am currently suffering through the Crystal Palace of FF3 for the DS. 7 was my favorite by a mile. It's a lot like SoM in that you can completely gloss over the glitches and essentially pretend they don't exist because the overall experience is that enjoyable. Though I've thinned my video game collection considerably this year there are games I won't part with. That would be one of them.

8 was a major disappointment for me but 9 was a blast! I played some of 10 and 10-2 but gave up on the new titles at that point. The magic was gone. If you enjoy old school, ridiculously difficult RPGs the Phantasy Star franchise can't be beat.
hawklise33
Ma Goblin

Post by hawklise33 »

well if the playstation emulator worked, i would've played 8 and 9 XD.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

So I picked up copy of Starfox 64 and am amazed at how good the 3D looks on the "big" screen. I don't like the fact that there are no save points as I rarely sit for more than 30 minutes at a time to play something like that. It is a ton of fun, however, and I really like the fact that you can toggle between the direct port of the N64 version and the newer one that makes use of the gyroscope controls or whatever they're called.
Ocarina is as beautiful as ever and my son is really enjoying it. Kid Icarus should be a blast to play but, like others have pointed out, the controls can be maddening at times. Visually it's amazing and plays like a vintage arcade game more than a console title (light speed rail system, unlimited ammo, really hard to die, etc). $40 was too much to spend for it, though, and I could have waited until the price came down some but I wanted to buy it new so that the AR cards and stand wouldn't have been gummed up by somebody else.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

No save points? I thought you could just quit after a mission and continue later, at least that's what I was doing while playing. I haven't touched it in a while though so I could be wrong about something.

I never used the gyro controls for starfox, but the normal controls felt great. Just a shame how short the game actually is.

Trust me on Kid Icarus, it gets better and better as you go along. I just beat it recently and I had a huge amount of fun with the game, it can be frustrating at time getting the controls to agree with you, but wow, I was impressed with the amount of content the game actually has in it.

Ocarina of Time is super beautiful too, did you know that Koichi Ishii, the dude behind the Mana series, is the guy who produced that port? He opened up Grezzo Games in 2007 and the Ocarina of Time port and new graphics and stuff is one of the first big things they've done I guess.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Sheexy,

You are right that there is an auto save that kicks in after missions. :* I prefer being able to hit the pause button, push save and then turn a game off instantly as the auto save doesn't revert you back to your last save point if you have to quit mid-mission. The game really is fun, though, and worth the $22 I paid for a mint used copy at GameStop. The 3D effect in that game is the best I've seen so far.
My son has taken over Kid Icarus and is battling on-line more than he's playing through the game. He's really enjoying it and at some point I'll pick that up again. This past week I've played very little of anything but have found myself going through a few levels of New Super Mario Bros. 2 after the kiddos have gone to bed. It's really the first platformer I've played in a long time and I kind of forgot just how much fun they are.
I had no idea about the SoM/OoT connection but that's very cool. The original was my 2nd favorite in the series (Link To The Past is still #1) and, from what I remember of the original, the port is very faithful. I picked up Harvest Moon: Tale of 2 Towns (?) as a Christmas present for my son so I'm excited to see what he thinks of that. I'm still hopeful that we will finally see a Mana re-release on this system but, like everyone else here, I'm not holding my breath.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Khyron wrote:I heard that people who bought a 3DS when they were first released felt ripped as the library of games was sub-par. I'm wondering if this will be the system that will finally see a re-release of FFVII or perhaps a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger. My money is on Circle of Mana ending up as a 3DS title over the WiiU or whatever they're calling it. Well, at least I hope that's the case!
Ripped off is right. I got my 3DS at launch when they were $250 (I got ambassador, but I already own all the games. I'd rather have the $80).The trash tier launch titles is why the system didn't sell well. All the launch titles, while decent, would not have been my pick for launch titles. I ended up getting Street Fighter and Lego Star Wars. Zelda wasn't released until months later. Same goes for Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo focused too much on the 3D gimmick. Most of the high profile titles are 3D remakes rather than anything original. I honestly wish I had waited for the 3DS XL. I would have gotten the system cheaper along with the games I wanted.