What Floats Your Boat?

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Khyron
Iffish

What Floats Your Boat?

Post by Khyron »

Since there's little in the way of Mana news to discuss T_T , I thought it'd be fun to discuss our other interests... provided we have any.

My interests? Oh, thanks for asking! For years I did amateur photography and still enjoy taking photos when I can. My favorite subject matter is anything abandoned: buildings, cars, trains, etc. There's just something interesting about seeing a home or a factory that was once very important to someone (or even hundreds of people) but is no longer wanted or needed. Two years ago I found an abandoned WWII fort in Delaware and spent several hours shooting there. GREAT time!!!

I'm kind of a neat freak so I like to detail cars. Now that all of my own vehicles are black it presents more of a challenge to keep them looking like I think they should. My wife rolls her eyes when I tell her that I'm going out to clean them but she doesn't complain when she sees the final product.

And then there's Robotech. Yes, like many of you I'm a child of the 80's. I loved, LOVED coming home from school and watching the Robotech Defense Forces defend the SDF-1 from the crazed Lord Khyron :P and the evil Zentradi. I really don't watch much Anime (I've seen a handful of movies) and the other TV series just don't appeal to me, but Robotech takes me back to when I was 8 years old- and sometimes that's a pretty cool place to be.

Your turn.
Kefka
Whimper

Re: What Floats Your Boat?

Post by Kefka »

EVIL ROBOT ARMS!!

erhm... *coughcough*
besides my newborn daughter which takes up most of my time, i enjoy oldtimer motorcycles and online gaming (bf3, mw2, mw3, bo2). oh! and i'm switching jobs :-D
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

My semester has finally ended, so I feel like I actually have time to be interested in things, haha.

One thing I really love is collecting Mana things, obviously. I scour different auction sites for new things every once and a while. Sometimes I find some pretty great things, maybe in a few months I can show you all something awesome I managed to find.

I really enjoy teaching statistics actually. I was off this semester, and I really missed giving lectures and working with students. I talked to the head of the department at school, and he said he'll try to get another section of the class to open up so I can teach it. My first semester I got pretty decent reviews from students, 3.6 out of 5 or something, and my second semester I was somewhere above 4 out of 5 as far as reviews went. I have a lot of fun with it, and I hope to update my materials soon to be ready to teach if I can get a section opened up for me.

I also like learning about statistics, or else I wouldn't be in graduate school I guess. Anyway, maybe this summer I'll be able to do some projects with a bunch of friends of mine who want to work with me.

I'll have to think about what other interests I have right now!
Kyatto wrote:EVIL ROBOT ARMS!!
Nine years later, and still playing with those dangerous things, eh? :-P
robotarm.jpg
robotarm.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 20237 times
I always knew I kept this e-mail for a reason.
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

Playing and writing music, same as ever ;) Not that I do much of it. But I would LIKE to! I have a lot of piano music to learn (like the FFVII piano collection - I want to play them alllllll! Which reminds me... why isn't there a Seiken Densetsu piano collection? Because there really should be. Or is there one that somehow slipped by me?) and a whole book of jolly jiggy folk songs to learn on the fiddle. It's just sitting there for a rainy day... Someday.

Getting into cycling lately! I really really love it. Even though the hills hurt my legs.

That's about it.

I sadly don't have much time (if any) for hobbies anymore. D: My little person is very demanding. He is a master saboteur. He objects to any activity in which he is not the centre of attention. Fortunately, as far as cycling is concerned he really likes riding with me and pointing out all the dogs and squirrels that we pass and it lifts both of our spirits even on the most dismal of days :) so it's a winner.
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

Sheexy wrote:My semester has finally ended, so I feel like I actually have time to be interested in things, haha.

One thing I really love is collecting Mana things, obviously. I scour different auction sites for new things every once and a while. Sometimes I find some pretty great things, maybe in a few months I can show you all something awesome I managed to find.

I really enjoy teaching statistics actually. I was off this semester, and I really missed giving lectures and working with students. I talked to the head of the department at school, and he said he'll try to get another section of the class to open up so I can teach it. My first semester I got pretty decent reviews from students, 3.6 out of 5 or something, and my second semester I was somewhere above 4 out of 5 as far as reviews went. I have a lot of fun with it, and I hope to update my materials soon to be ready to teach if I can get a section opened up for me.
Teaching! That's awesome, and even better that you have such fun doing it. It sounds like you have a talent for it too. Is that what you hope to do when you're finished with grad school?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Destiny wrote:Teaching! That's awesome, and even better that you have such fun doing it. It sounds like you have a talent for it too. Is that what you hope to do when you're finished with grad school?
Not sure if I want to keep doing it after grad school, but it's really fun! I definitely like teaching college level kids, I don't think I'd enjoy highschool or middle school teaching. The college kids are supposed to be responsible for themselves, so I don't have to feel at blame if a student isn't performing well due to skipping classes or not doing assignments. I still try to talk to them and help them get to a point where they can do well in the class though, I probably spent more time working one on one with different students last semester than I did teaching the actual class!

Anyway, the head of the department got a section for me so I'll be teaching again next semester. :)
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

0_o a Seiken Densetsu Piano Collection?
yes plz! do want! :-D

I have both the FF6 and FF9 piano collections on my iPhone and would actually buy an SD2 or SD3 piano collection. Good to hear that you are still busy with music, Destiny! :-)
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Aside from Mana, for me computers mostly (I'm a tech nerd), anime, tabletop gaming, gaming (other than mana), voice acting, and when I get a chance, music.

That's pretty much it.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

The year is almost over, and still i enjoy having a beautifull daughter every day. My knees hurt from spending so much time on the floor playing with her. XD Sometimes i think about letting her play Secret of Mana when she's old enough, but i think she will just laugh about it (and counting pixels). I will never get rid of my 8-bit NES and 16-bit SNES XD

I love my wife so much and am letting her know every day (important!)
My new job suits me great, still enjoy (pc-)gaming. It really is a hobby and great way to relax for me.